Wednesday, October 26, 2011

HAT'S OFF TO YOU ALBANY STATE...




Since I usually blog about mail or pen palling. I have decided to not only dedicate this blog to just mail but everything not mail. Give you all an insight into life here in the Big city, NO not New York, But Atlanta,Ga and an insight into my personal life (not to personal) . So here goes: (I preface this as saying I hope NO one takes any offense to this blog, when race is involved you have to really careful.) This blog is dedicated to my alma mater Albany State University


Here in the south WE LOVE FOOTBALL. I am sure this is the case with everyone all across the country but down here in the south, its just something about fall and football that makes everything right with life. If you don't know, now you know, I am black. (not that is matters) I attended a HBCU in Albany, Georgia by the name of Albany State University. For those of you don't know an HBCU is a historically black college university. ASU is located in Albany,Georgia which was one of the key cities in the Civil Rights movement it was here that Martin Luther King went to jail. So as you can already probabaly imagine this city is filled with history, not all good but not all bad either. Albany State had meager beginnings first starting as a bible institue, then it turned into a teacher and agriculture training college, then 1943 became Albany State College, after enrollment started to increase greatly each year it reached University status. 1996 was the year it bacame Albany State University. To all alumni like my grandma who raised me, myself, and others this was a dream come true it was everything I imagined. It was here that I learned my potential. As a matter of fact our motto is POTENTIAL REALIZED (take a moment a reflect on those two words). Attending a historically black school was diffrent. It was momentous. The experience was life changing, it was an experience I will not soon forget. It was where for breakfest they served fish and grits, Sunday dinner consisted of collard greens and chitlins.(your laughing but i'm tellin the truth and if you don't know what chitlins are look it up). This is where I became a proud member of Zeta Phi Beta, Sorority Inc. I graduate December 13th, 2003 with the people who I came to love and look at as family, a united front of talented young african americans who wore their potential as a badge of honor.


Every year is the annual homecoming festivites. This is joyous occasion uniting all classmates young and old. This weekend is homecoming. I wish I could just tuck all my pen pals and those who read my blog into my purse and take you all with me. Since I can't you all will have to settle for pictures which does the event absolutly no justice what so ever. This weekend I will be traveling to the small city in South Georgia to reminesce on all the good times. This time of year is to BEAUTIFUL for words to even describe it. I have been excited all week. Mentally i'm already there unfortunatly my body is physically still in Atlanta. This time tomorrow I will gas up the little toot boot (my nickname for my car) put the dog in the back seat and going back to where it all started! I will make sure I take plenty of pictures to show you all.


So I hope you all are planning a happy fun filled weekend. I can't wait to come back and tell all of you all about it.


On to the mail news:


I've had a good mail week I must say. Thanks to all have sent me mail. I'm going off the top of my head so if you sent me a letter and I didn't mention you please forgive me. Bev Sykes Thanks for all three letters we must be destined to be pen pals since you got me two times in both swaps. Kimi..Thanks for the love! Emily from Canada and Melissa thanks for the postcard. I will be sending out all mail that I owe out tomorrow because I doubt I will be doing any writing this weekend! Happy weekend and talk to everyone really soon!


Heidi

2 comments:

  1. Hi..I'm e2java from Swap-Bot's "Blogger Swap". I actually live outside of Atlanta, too and you are right about football in the South! While I'm deep in UGA territory, I still hold an allegiance for my college...University of South Carolina. It's also great to read about someone else with an appreciation of snail mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I'm an Alabama girl, so I know all about football and grits! :) I hope you enjoyed your weekend!

    (This is angellarae from the Blogger Swap!! on sb)

    ReplyDelete